What is Public Health System?
The WHO (World Health Organisation) defines the Public Health System as the art andscience of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through the organizedefforts of society (Acheson, 1988).
But do we really understand the true meaning of Public Health System inpractical scenario?
The public health and other healthcare sectors have been ignored immensely bythe government and other formal structures in Nigeria.Even though Nigeria has the largest stock of human resources for health in Africa,but due to extensive migration to foreign countries in recent years has led to:
- Inadequate healthcare system
- Poor welfare of health facilities
- Inefficient governance and administration in the healthcare sectors
- Human resource crisis in the public and health care sector.
Healthcare problems & obstacles:
Major difficulties of providing health service for the people of Nigeria involves: Insufficient and maldistributed resources, the design of health service system, not enough emphasis is given on the health insurance. Also the amount of coverage of the insurance is significantly low(around 4%) compared to the other African countries like Rwanda( where 95% insurance is covered).
There are people dying every day because of the most commonly caused diseases that can easily be cured in the 21st century.Every now & then we come across people trying to raise funds to travel to different countries for the treatment of the common diseases that can easily be treated at their own place with proper facilities and equipment.
Solution: The Education on Public Health System:
The quickest and simplest way to resolve any such situation is through education. Educating the masses will not only create awareness but also helps in enabling policies with the government to unlock the pothentials in health care in Nigeria.
At James Lind Institute we promote health and improving average life-spans across geographies and age groups are the focus of all global healthcare efforts. It is crucial that we have the workforce available to us that is trained in preventing and combating various infectious disease epidemics and natural calamities. Professionals that are able to develop and implement strategies and policies for improvement of healthcare; and trained workforce that is able to provide a high level of care at all small or large healthcare facilities are also the need of the hour. People with training in public health, healthcare management, tropical medicine and similar areas are critical for a country’s healthcare and public health infrastructure.
James Lind Institute offers the following programs in Public Health
- Advanced PG Diploma in Global Health Management & Policy
- Advanced PG Diploma in Global Sexual & Reproductive Health Management
- Advanced PG Diploma in Public Health Research
- Advanced PG Diploma in Healthcare & Hospital Management
- Professional Diploma in Medical Tourism & Healthcare Marketing
- Advanced Certificate in Medical Law & Bioethics
- Certificate in Healthcare Risk Management
- Advanced PG Diploma in Global Maternal and Child Health
- Professional Diploma in Public Health Management
- Advanced PG Diploma in Tropical Medicine, Surveillance and Immunization
- Master of Science in Health Management
- Master of Science in Public Health Management (MPH)
- Executive Certificate in Public Health Leadership & Research