What is Medical Writing?
Medical writing is an attractive alternative for professionals who are looking for a career in the healthcare sector. Medical writers deal with a wide range of topics and usually prepare documents pertaining to regulatory affairs, medical investigation or general medical information. Medical writers perform their duties for different industries in healthcare which includes pharmaceutical organizations, clinical research companies, medical device companies, medical books publishing firms and many more. Some medical writers work as freelancers.Freelancing is very common in the writing sector, simply because several healthcare organizations and service providers require medical content that is structured, to market a new product or an event, or some other kind of venture.
Job Responsibilities of Medical Writers
- Reports to, and obtains guidelines from, the Medical Writing Team Leader, Sr. Medical Writer or the Medical Affairs Director (MAD).
- Helps the clinical trial researchers in planning and writing various documents.
- Arranges and provides support in the publication of the final technical document in recognized journal(s)—be it regional or global.
- Functions closely with the Medical Specialist in preparing of press releases and public data elements.
- Provides feedback and reviews on the advertising and educational components being selected by the Brand Management team and other professionals.
- Develops marketing material for a number of audiences.
- Performs training on medical writing required by any new employees.
- Performs other responsibilities that may be allocated to him by the senior management.
Educational Qualification to Become a Medical Writer
Medical writers must have at minimum a bachelors’ degree. It’s advantageous to have a degree in medicine or life science for example Pharmacy, Microbiology, Biotechnology etc. with proper training in medical writing. A short certificate or diploma in medical writing is preferred.
Where to Search for Medical Writing Job Opportunities:
Many companies in the healthcare sector like Pharmaceutical, Biotech, clinical research, medical communications etc. offer medical writing jobs. Jobs are also available with health portals, journals, and publishing houses. If you visit their website’s you may come across medical writing openings posted in the career section. In addition, professional writing organizations, social networking websites, and job portals, may also publish job openings for medical writers.
Who Will Recruit Medical Writers?
A senior medical writer Adrian says “Medical writers provide their services to different kinds of companies. Some individuals are experts in medical, scientific and technical writing or modifying documents for medical specialists. Other medical writers work in medical advertising or in literature writing, preparing document for a lay audience and/or medical specialists.”
Demand and Pay Scale for Medical Writers
“The requirement for competent medical writers is growing as medical advancement carries on and people today become significantly fascinated in studying more about their personal health.” Due to the fact that the healthcare industry is a comparatively recession-resistant sector; requirement for medical writers continues to be strong. For that reason, salary is very competitive.
Average Pay Scale for Entry to Mid Level Medical Writers in Different Countries:
|Country Name||Salary/Per Annum||Currency|
Which Training Program Can be Taken to Become a Medical Writer?
Some of the academics programs that individuals can pursue to enter into this industry are: